Matt is a private wealth lawyer whose practice covers a wide range of work for high net worth private clients. He has particular expertise in the areas of trusts, foundations, succession and tax planning for internationally-mobile individuals and families and their structures. Matt has a reputation as a leading advisor for the Next Generation / NextGen of wealth holders, with experience in helping clients incorporating pro-ethical objectives and governance in wealth structures.
Matt’s work includes advising non-UK domiciled individuals on UK taxes as well as creating succession-focussed structures for international clients.
Matt assists clients with HMRC tax enquiries and processes, and provides advice to UK and non-UK trustees and other trust parties on all areas of trust law and administration. He also advises on corporate and indirect taxes as they affect private wealth structures, and on compliance matters relevant to private clients and private wealth service providers.
Matt commonly works in conjunction with advisors in other jurisdictions to help internationally-mobile clients implement planning that works across all areas of their lives.
Matt worked for a number of years in Switzerland, for leading UK and Swiss law firms, and has an extensive practice dealing with UK/Swiss cross-border private wealth matters.
Matt re-joined Wiggin Osborne Fullerlove as a Partner in 2018, having previously worked at Wiggin LLP and then Wiggin Osborne Fullerlove from 2005 to 2011.
From 2011 to 2014, Matt was part of the international private client team of Lenz & Staehelin, based in that firm’s Geneva office.
Matt also worked in the international private client teams of UK firms Charles Russell (and then Charles Russell Speechlys) and Burges Salmon, between 2014 and 2018.
Professional Memberships / Awards
- Ranked as a leading “Next Generation” lawyer for tax and trusts in Legal500 (2020, 2021 and 2022)
- Included in Legal500’s “Hall of Fame” of private wealth lawyers in 2022
- Ranked as a leading lawyer to high net worth clients by Chambers & Partners in 2020, 2021 and 2022)
- Ranked in the Chambers “High Net Worth Directory" as a leading lawyer
- Shortlisted for Citywealth's “Lawyer of the Year - Partner 2019" award
- STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients
- International Tax Planning Association (ITPA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- 2020: A judge for Citywealth's “Future Leaders" private wealth industry awards
- 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015: Included in Citywealth’s list of “Future Leaders" in the private wealth industry
- 2016: Included amongst ePrivateClient’s “Top 35 Under 35” professional advisors in the private wealth industry
- 2000 – 2003 BA (Hons) History, Swansea University
- 2004 – 2005 Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law (London)
- 2005 – 2006 Legal Practice Course, Bristol Institute of Legal Practice
Matt has a wide range of interests; in particular, sports, music and anything that gets him outdoors with his young family. He is a trustee of the National Star College, an educational registered charity based in Cheltenham.